Child Brings Mom’s Crack Pipe For Show-And-Tell

SWEET SPRINGS, Mo. (CBS St. Louis) –– A recent show-and-tell at a northwest Missouri elementary school resembled something out of an episode of “Breaking Bad,” leading to the arrest of a kindergartner’s mother.

Michelle Marie Cheatham, 32, was arrested on Sept. 6 after her son pulled out methamphetamine and his mother’s crack pipe during a show-and-tell for his kindergarten class, according to a felony complaint filed in the Saline County Circuit Court. Later that day, a search warrant was obtained by the Sweet Springs police to conduct a search at Cheatham’s home, which led to the police reportedly recovering a crack pipe and a butane lighter, according to the Marshall Democrat-News.

Cheatham was charged six days later with two class C felonies – the first for possession of a controlled substance and the other for endangering the welfare of a child. Each charge includes punishments of up to seven years in the Missouri Department of Corrections system and up to a $5,000 fine, according to the felony complaint.

The “several baggies of Crack Rocks” discovered in the boy’s backpack were worth around $3,700, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

“When I called the prosecutor about it, they said, ‘You’re kidding me, aren’t you?'” Sweet Springs Police Chief Richard Downing told KCTV5 earlier this month.

Cheatham will appear in court next week.

Comments

1. Joe Menza says:

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in that classroom, lol.

1. HighHigh School says:

Wall? no. Ceiling, yes! ….. smoke rises.

2. Rob says:

I’m just wondering what the kid said when he showed and told.

2. bruce brinkmann says:

I remember taking a can of H’amms beer to school for show and tell. hat didn’t go ver to good either!

1. sender G says:

seems you still drinkin hat beer

2. ByteRider says:

I found bringing Jack Daniels to school went over better with the teachers😉

3. fool4jesus says:

Hamms the beer refresing. That was a long time ago. Remember the word games on the caps of Lucky Beer?

1. elmer fudd says:

yea, i worked with a guy that collected lucky caps- he was the only one who couls figure them out– 100% ff the time-the more drunk he got at work, the better he could figure them out- we fed him a six pak at 9:30 am break to sober him up- worked great, he quit shaking- he was a fun fellow to work with- a good worker too just sober him up with a 6 pak of lucky in the morning!!!!

3. Mark says:

why no link to the crackheads mugshot ?

1. LaQuan Demitrius Theodorius Jackson says:

That was my sister. Clearly she was white.

2. HeHeHe says:

Probably ’cause she’s a minor.

3. Guess Who says:

Because it’s CBS and they always try to protect their pets from bad press.

4. Your Lying Eyes says:

No names? No pictures? Did this really happen?

1. guest says:

That usually indicates one thing.

2. ByteRider says:

IT HAS TO BE TRUE! I just saw a related story! SEE—

SWEET SPRINGS, Mo. (KMOX/AP) – Officials at a small northwest Missouri elementary school say they were stunned when a kindergarten student brought his mom’s improved nuclear bomb and some condoms for show-and-tell.

The boy showed the items on Sept. 6 at Sweet Springs Elementary School, located about three hours west of St. Louis off of I-70. School officials called police.

The boy’s 32-year-old mother was arrested and is charged with possession of a unregulated nuclear device, terrorism, terroristic threatening, child endangerment and just bad fashion sense.

Court records indicate that the teacher told police that the boy had the bomb and “several baggies of anthrax.”

Officials say the antrax was worth about $3,700, or $20 bucks with a deep Sunday discount.

A family friend told KCTV5 that the boy is being cared for by monkeys living in a cave.

1. Poof says:

In a follow up story. The location of the town could not be found for interviews. Nearby residents pointed in the direction where until yesterday the town was known to reside. Apparently the town has been relocated.

5. tyrone says:

Mommy’s going to be jonesin for her crack. That’s a lot of crack and money mom is out of.

6. Blammo says:

Dat ryte.
    America #1 !!!
    No video of the Johns(or Tyrones) at night ? Bummer.

7. just one says:

3,700$ dollars worth? I am not in the know abotu street pricing for said drugs but 3,700$ …Really?

1. $$$$$$$$$$ says:

I think the dollar sign goes on the left side of the amount. Like this, $3,700. Looks like someone else got hold of mama’s stash.

1. ByteRider says:

D’oh!

8. Daniel Klages says:

I wish that society would force this woman to have her tubes tied so that she can not breed anymore.

1. Jon says:

Even though I’m a limited gov’t supporter, you make a good point. Especially when our cuurent political structure makes us pay for the behavior of these idiots.

1. Jake V. says:

I don’t disagree when others are held to be responsible for those whom simple aren’t, however that is a dangerous slope…some people in the current administration (Van Jones and Cass Sunstein for example) have advocated public sterilization through such sources/methods as the water supply.

That type of control is left to the uber devil dangerous folks, I.E. Nazi Germany.

Are we Nazi Germany?

Its ok, I sometimes wonder too….

2. NKVD says:

I dunno… We probably could use something along the lines of the Khmer Rouge or Sendero Luminoso…

2. Caleb Dinsmore says:

Oh sweet, eugenics. I do agree that people like this should have their rights to be pro-creators revoked, but to have society or the government tie her up? Brilliant! Let’s promote a race of smart people and have the idiots executed.

…However beneficial that would be to society, it is still not right. Haha. Besides, it’s been tried before. We all know how that ended.

9. Rikki says:

that’s so sad. poor little boy. Addiction is a disease, I hope the mom gets some treatment.

1. RobertT says:

Addiction isn’t a disease, it’s a weakness. Yes, I can say that. I have been clean 15 years. If you want to quit, you quit. If you don’t quit you are either stupid or weak, not diseased.

1. Allen Duvio says:

Bullsh-t I have been sober for 3years and 2months and 1weak and 2 days. This is 100% a disease I woke up in a ambulance 3 times not from taking to much either from not taking any at all. When you cross a thresh hold there is no turning back with out serious help and that is at least a 3 month program once that thresh hold is passed you do not know what your talking about keep your dam mouth shut!!!!

2. Allen Dope Head says:

Allen is cranky without his drug crutch.

3. JenB says:

Thank you, Robert T for saying so! My step-son’s mother is an addict. She has gone to rehab – come out clean… and then CHOSE to get her next fix. I understand the chemical part of addiction, but at some point, addicts need to take responsibility for making the CHOICE to go back to their habit!

I’ve been raising my boy for eight years, and the only disease involved in her life is her mental defect she’s self-medicating for.

4. HML says:

Exactly right, some people need to hit bottom in life to make a change, some choose to stay there, some don’t.

5. Atom&Yves says:

Without going into details about my history, RobertT is correct. It’s a weakness/desire. I’ve been clean for 10 years, and ONLY because I DECIDED TO TAKE CONTROL of my weakness/desire. Apparently, Allen will never be able to admit the truth, no matter how long his sobriety. Sad.

2. Derby Cap says:

Addiction is not a disease, a disease is something you can see under a microscope.
      By labeling addiction a disease you take the responsibility away from the drug user and make them a victim.
      Drug addicts are not victims they are suffering from their choice of lifestyle and break the law and endanger others in the process.

1. andrew says:

Really? You can see “disease” under a microscope? That’s interesting.. what does “disease” look like? This whole time, I thought it was the micro organisms CAUSING the disease that we could see.. but you learn something new every day.

I can put my hand under a microscope. Does that make my hand a disease? Ridiculous question, right..? What about neurological disorders… can you put them under microscopes?

Interestingly enough, you CAN put an addict under a microscope. Sure, you would need a big microscope (or a small addict). You’re logic is flawed.

You may disagree with addiction being a disease. But you should at least give something a little more scientific as your reasoning.

3. the myze says:

I have an addictive personality to, I use it to excerise and read, not channel it into destructive behavior!

1. TNliberterian says:

Sublimation FTW!

4. The G Report says:

It may be a disease, but it is a self-inflicted disease.

There is also a all natural home remedy: quit!

5. John McGlasson says:

addiction is not a disease, it’s a self-inflicted condition. If I stab a knife in my gut it’s not a disease, it’s a self-inflicted condition which may or may not be an indication of bigger psych problems, but it is NOT a disease. It’s not like cancer. You don’t get a call one day telling you “yeah, I have to let you know that grandma caught a crack addiction, yeah, none of us saw that coming, so sad”

1. Allen says:

2. Allen is Weak says:

Allen the dope addict will not allow others their freedom of speech. Not only is he a weak little dope addict, he is a wanna be Hitler or Stalin as well.

3. TNlibertarian says:

I wonder what Allen was like on drugs?

4. Bill Devine says:

People who smoke sometimes get lung cancer. The cancer is a disease, but it is also self inflicted. The whole disease/self control argument sets me on edge. And just so you know…I am a recovering alcoholic. Whether my “disease” is in check, or I found some “self-control”, you are correct…it is an indication of a deeper “psych problem”. I don’t expect you really to understand, but unless you have been there, you might want to hold back a little on the character judgement.

6. Will says:

Addiction is a self-indulgence, just like over-eating.

7. D'Terian Theodorius Jackson IV says:

Addiction is a lack of control you stupid, spoon-fed liberal. stfu.

10. Goldenfoxx says:

Well it looks like they are white people. Apparently her husband died 7 months ago and was left with a sizable pension from the military. I hope she gets help.

1. Curt says:

You are an idiot… but at at least now that you know the family’s race you can offer your sympathies.

2. Josh Biggs says:

Nowhere in the link Goldenfoxx gave is race given or shown. The only lady at the house visited by the reporter is white BUT she is only a friend of the family not the mother in question. Me thinks Goldenfoxx doth protest too much.

1. Bosh Jiggs says:

Mug shot is on the page beside the story…….

3. Ian says:

Looks like she could be Hispanic to me.

11. Ed Cole says:

I’ll bet mom was a hoot on “career day”, too.
    ‘Well, a typical day for me is waiting for the neighbors to leave for work, so I can rip something off from them to sell for some rock. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll usually try to find a slanger and trade a hummer for a hit or two…”

12. Smashicus says:

What do you want to bet mommy is a recipient of some form of taxpayer entitlement?

1. Ed Cole says:

Yep, so come on all you millionaires and pony up more tax dollars. You need to pay your fair share, because crack isn’t free and mommy’s jonesing for the pipe big-time.

2. Ian says:

Military pension, is that a taxpayer entitlement?

1. Massimo Deportado says:

No, but being an idiot in public like IAN is truly disgusting.

Go away LITTLE IAN, you’re scaring the children…..

It’s the military that allows you to sit around all day IN FREEDOM to smoke you’re little rock….ya freak!

2. IansDaddy says:

No its an earned benefit for a federal employee.

Your point is empty and thoughtless. Entitlements (IE welfare and free cell phones) for the poor and/or lazy have nothing to do with Military Pension. You provide a pitiful example of an intelligent human arguement. So vapid, but I bet your willing to shout everyone down for your beliefs. Loser.

13. Tim says:

Leave the ho alone. She needs assistance. Let the liberals give her some funds so she can back her crack.

14. Monica Schwiffer says:

Oh, what a sweet story. Like mother like son. As a liberal white female, i so encourage the cultural identity of our proud and brave urban brethren. I would like to see college scholarships set up for such children so they can teach us the ways of life downtown(much like we now learn about the Native American culture). I am so sorry for all the misdeeds we whites have done to people of color. I wish a swiffer mop would sweep me off the floor as i am a dirty and dusty crumb.

1. jasperddbgghost says:

You forgot to mention that you were a dumpster baby, the product of a donkey punch and electric boogaloo.

2. TARA says:

YOU ACTUALLY ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT! JUST SAYIN

15. Josh Biggs says:

Yes he can!!!! mmm… mmm… mmm… Yes he did!!!

16. Jonny Chepe says:

Monica Schwiffer….you’re an as shole….

1. Monica Schwiffer says:

Its called satire… Excrement for brains.

1. Ed Cole says:

Pwned.

2. Jonny Chepe says:

no….you’re an as shole…..

17. Lindsay says:

Since the race of these people wasn’t mentioned, I presume it was the default race?

1. Tom Reid says:

Crackhead is a race.

2. Ed Cole says:

” I presume it was the default race?”
      as in, “It be default u eberyone else dat I be on da food stamps!”

1. artemis133 says:

LOL!

18. Jonny Chepe says:

I think that I read that their Klingons….

19. workingman says:

i bet his mom was looking all over the place for her pipe while he was in school!LOL
    i wonder how far he got with show and tell before they stoped him.
    GOOD LUCK YOUNG MAN SOUNDS LIKE YOUR GOING TO NEED ALOT

20. it ain't right says:

Where is the zero tolerance. That kid should be shunned and have his life ruined the same as a kid that brings a butter knife to school to cut his apple or the kid that has the gall to draw a picture of a gun or the kid that thinks it’s ok to carry a bible around in plain sight!

21. ByteRider says:

And this is why I always put my pipe bombs away… dang kids….

22. Leftist Stooge says:

I don’t think the kid lit the pipe and showed how to smoke it so I would have to give him a D for his presentation.

23. The Bottom Line says:

Unfortunately… he forgot to bring a lighter. 😦

1. ByteRider says:

Damn amatures…..

24. Rodger Barker says:

Oh black lady with a crack pipe and on welfare oh imagine that.

25. onarant says:

Kids do the darnedest things!

26. jasperddbgghost says:

Swipe Swipe, My EBT My EBT, Swipe Swipe, Sup N to tha A to the Y to the GRO.

27. Wee Weed says:

The Obama’s bought a beer brewing system for the white house and now making beet is partof white house culture. I bet they have a hydroponics system growing weed for Barry and Moochelle as well.

Barry is all wee weed up.

1. rufus levin says:

we need a stoned and drunk secret service to go along with the Stonie Obomie

28. Jay says:

Not to be (even more) insensitive, but aren’t the people now caring for the child the same people that raised the crackhead mother?
    Just sayin.

29. michaelp says:

if the child was white ! the news would of said so. if black ? no color is mentioned.

1. icanspell says:

would *have*. Not “would of”.

2. Jiggy says:

You are miss informed Jay, get a grip!

30. scs says:

I think the point is missed that the child is innocent and if he weren’t he would not have taken the stuff to school. Parents can raise kids in an enviornment of love and devotion but their child when they grow up will make choices that are sometimes contrary to that upbringing(speaking of the mothers parents)

31. Jimmy says:

Pretty much all the honest truth-telling there is in the world is done by children.
    ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

32. nobama2012 says:

Probably figured it was easier than boxing up all the meth lab equipment.

33. Attack Watch says:

Wow a functional drug addict where the police or child services were not called out to the residence? http://www.attackwatch.me

34. JenB says:

Let me start by saying I am conservative. I also live in the northern Bay Area in Cali. Not a good mix, I agree. I am a licensed foster parent. The racial statistics in my area for kids coming into care are as follows: 35% AA, 34% Caucasian, 12% Hispanic, 10% Asian, 9% other.

I am just pointing out that it’s just as likely in MY area that the child is Caucasian as African American. Just sayin’.

35. Massimo Deportado says:

Perfectly predictable from a democrat run hell hole.

OPEN SEASON ON DEMOCRATS 2012

36. skippy777 says:

surprise….no picture of mother….no mention of her race

37. Deuce says:

I’m sure the government employed school teacher thought that was pretty cool. Probably even taught the student how to use it properly.

38. Graf Otto says:

39. the electrician says:

it had to be a white woman ,the meth is what should of tipped you people off, blacks like just crack whites like meth,and cracjk…

40. FlaJ says:

The first paragraph say “methamphetamine and crack pipe”. The last paragraph says “several baggies of crack rocks”. I wonder which one the kid showed.

41. conrado arnoldi says:

The “crack pipe” pictured is actually a valve adapter for a bicycle tire pump. Here is an example in this link: http://www.bicycletires.com/psndad/silca_250_disc_wheel_adapter/pp.htm

42. John Moser says:

“Crack Rocks”? What, is it a name brand? BTW CBS, meth and crack are completely unrelated.

43. Fanny Forbes Franklen says:

“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.”
    – Mark Twain — http://911essentials.com

44. Carl Curmudgeon says:

I went to grade school in Misssouri, but I don’t recall much contraband or paraphernalia at “Show and Tell” back in the day.

I do recall when a girl in my class, Elizabeth Borden, once brought a bloody axe, but other than that…

1. Matt says:

That didn’t happen in Missouri, it was Fall River, MA.

45. Tom says:

Did he demonstrate how to use it? I’ll bet mom was mad when, after she dropped him at school, she went back to hit the crack pipe and found it and her crack was missing! Bet she tore that apartment apart.

46. Matt says:

I can’t believe she is white. And there is no way that monetary figure is correct. That is too much for crack yo. dats would bees a lotta crack son.

47. Jim says:

That picture is of an adapter used for pumping up wheelchair or bicycle tires. It is an adapter to allow you to pump a Presta valve stem with a standard Schrader bicycle pump. Here is a link

www(dot)sportaid(dot)com(slash)zipp-90_presta-valve-adapter(dot)html

48. Jim says:

There is no way that Presta adapter would be used as a crack pipe unless you wanted to smoke a bunch of rubber. I don’t even see how it would work if you did want to. It is not exactly hollow inside and there is o real bowl as in a normal pipe. Is that not something you would need to smoke anything?

49. maxtor says:

this is about the most stupid thing that this so called mother could have done. is she that out of it to let this child get ahold of her crack pipe. she must be so passive about using around the house that the kid just picked it up to use it for show and tell. dont parents check their childrens backpacks before they go to school?? this is absurd!!

50. Joe Moonraven says:

“And this is how my mommy smokes crack……”

51. Pesro Gomez says:

Another Obama voter goes to jail!

I bet, she is a democrat, liberal, on welfare, and black.

52. She should have been charged with intent to distribute. Of course, that charge may be tacked on later.

53. Roddy Piper says:

Damn…. she must have been Jonesing for a hit that day!

54. evefromeden says:

You mean Charlie Sheens kids are going to school already?

55. mrbeverage says:

Now class……. “C” is for Crack Pipe.

56. stinky stew says:

The teacher no doubt asked the kids to describe a day in the life of there mommy- I never see my big fat mommy in the morning, once i came home early sick- there were a bunch of cars in the driveway- when i went in the house there were smelly men standing at my mommys bedroom door- and the bed was thumping aganst the wall- i think mommy hired these men to move furniture or something–

57. Rocketman says:

Tweakers always get sloppy eventually.
    Is the pic shown of the alleged crack/meth pipe real? That steel is gonna get real, real hot – too hot hold. Or so I’ve been told. (ahem)
    ~(Ä)~

58. Bobby says:

Remember the show Art Linkletter’s “Kids say the Darnest Things” ??? Well this tops them all. RIP Art……..

59. vote for freedom says:

another example of our failing criminal justice system at work. it is a sad story. but even sadder is the wasted money spent locking up a drug addict for 7 years, ensuring she will become a hardened criminal, rather than providing her with the help she obviously needs, which would cost less to taxpayers.

1. Rocketman says:

By “help” I assume you mean “treatment”.
      The woman committed more than one crime. With the quantity she had, she was obviously dealing.
      Is there a “treatment” to “cure” someone from trying to make easy money while enjoying the high life?
      Treatment costs 3-4 times as much as incarceration. For those who espouse this point of view re: crack and meth (i think marijuana should be legal), I suggest that you examine all of the variables.
      In any event, she’s obviously an irresponsible parent. Her kids deserve better.
      ~(Ä)~

60. AeroJack7 says:

Drug use is a victimless crime. And liberals have the only solutions to solve our country’s problems. God help the children.

61. Timmy says:

My mommy sucks on this all the time and lots of strange men come over and they go in the room and shut the door. Sometimes she don’t wake up to get me to school or make me breakfast. And my mommys teeth are brown and falling out .

62. JOe Dutra says:

Your tax dollars (welfare, food stamps, aid to dependent children, section 8 housing, PEL grants, etc.) at work.

63. JeddMcHead says:

Is Mom on public assistance? That would make this heartwarming story all the more special!

64. SamSam says:

A class C felony? Does Missouri have a different system than the rest of us? Are you sure you don’t mean a 3rd degree felony or maybe a class C misdemeanor? What is a class C felony?

65. Debi Page says:

I bet she was frantically looking for that thing till the police knocked on her door..lol!

66. TARA says:

ACTUALLY…IF ANY OF YOU GUYS WOULD HAVE SEEN THE MUG SHOT THE MOTHER IS WHITE. RACE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT ANYWAYS. YOU ARE ALL MISSING THE POINT! A SMALL CHILD BROUGHT DRUGS TO SCHOOL…AND IF FOR ANY REASON WOULD HAVE INGESTED THEM HE WOULD NO LONGER BE ALIVE…. I AM INFURIATED THAT THIS MOTHER HAS ONLY BEEN CHARGED WITH CLASS C FELONIES! THIS IS ABSURD! AND SHE’S OUT ON BAIL? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM? JUST SAYIN!

67. It is a myth that all crack cocaine users are black or brown.

Race isn’t the issue in this story. Not at all! The issue (for me, at least) is the fact that this woman should have charged with counts more severe, including a charge of intent to distribute. Of course, locking her up in a prison or even in a rehab facility is no guarantee that she will quit using. She has to want to quit — and the legal system is terrible at motivating people to quit (except for temporarily).

The issue is the endemic drug problem throughout the United States. Meth use is particularly endemic — even in rural areas.

68. PS: I can’t see that we are winning the drug war.

69. cp says:

The drugs were never seen and were not for show and tell. The media has the story twisted as the rumor flew threw the small town faster than lightning. I wish news sources were verified.

70. jonathan brandon says:

A world of motor cycles also given a program with established in this making popular limited was product tire company also different styles also very bad locations of travels of company. called a product.

71. free games says:

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to provide something back and help others like you helped me.