Garage Door Openers Stop Working On Entire Missouri Block

ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP/KMOX) — It’s a puzzling phenomenon: On one street in St. Charles County, garage door openers have stopped working.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that no one knows what exactly is going on at Westhampton View Court. The garage door openers at all five homes on the court stopped working shortly after Christmas.

“It’s a weird, weird thing,” Joe Sullivan told the Post-Dispatch. “And the timing for it all to go haywire for everybody at the same time can’t be coincidence, right?”

Garage door companies say interference problems are common at individual homes — they blame what is known as “frequency pollution.” But experts say having the issue extend to multiple homes is just plain weird.

“There is so much radio frequency pollution now,” Butch Martin, owner of Martin Door Co., told the paper. “Everything is wireless, and the more wireless stuff we get, the bigger the problem is going to get.”

The Post-Dispatch reports that the Westhampton View Court residents filed complaints with the Federal Communications Commission over the issue. There is no word on how long it will take the FCC to conduct an investigation.

(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. electrical engineer says:

“frequency pollution” is a lie. garage door openers use Pulse Amplitude Modulation and are required to have a wide input bandwidth so homeland secruity can jam them. Jamming ability is also required of cell phones.

You can prevent this from happening by designing and putting a very narrowband filter on your openers antenna (typically around 315MHz).

1. Ross says:

Wouldn’t it be easier for Homeland security to just kick down a door or pick a lock? Garage doors open slowly and noisily so you lose the element of surprise if you break in that way and it takes a while. I like a good conspiracy and would love to see Homeland Security abolished but I don’t see any motive here.

1. electrical engineer says:

No, as a matter of fact a local armed standoff proved my point. No one in the area could open their garage doors because as the cops were surrounding the armed assailant they jammed the doors.

2. kmrod says:

Beez, “While the “tinfoil hat” part is correct, the “wide input – harder to jam” part is not”……………. the wireless equipment we build would ignore the input that might tie it up. In other words, if all it takes is injecting junk in one part of the band to jam it up, the equipment sucked.

EE, “wrong einstein”……… everything I said, from tinfoil hat on down, was correct.

3. tyrone says:

Hey Nimrod, has it ever occurred to you that a garage door remote can be used to trigger an explosive device?

4. kmrod says:

………WHERE? Link to this or you’re a pathetic liar.

5. Bob says:

Chainsaw like fbi

6. beedogunami says:

LOL, tyrone, you cant be serious. Do you live in fear 24/7??

7. Tom says:

Tinfoil hat people are less and less crazy every day. I think it is most likely the result of solar flares, but why only a particular block in one place? Whatever it is, I do not trust the government reports and I am just stocking up for the eventual apocalypse all signs are pointing that way. Do you have everything you need to survive the apocalypse? I have everything on this list but I do not know if that will be enough?

2. MrLawless Antipc says:

The real problem is the what the government is hiding from everyone http://www.WarnWire.com they know exactly why these garage doors are not working. People better get prepared for whats coming.

1. Mech Engineer says:

Sad, sad monkey.
        Government can’t jam your garage door shut using radio.
        If my electric garage door opener stops working – for whatever reason, aliens, gubmmint spys, pranksters, etc. – I merely pull the release cord to raise or lower it MANUALLY.
        Geeeeze. How hard is that to figure out?

3. RF eng says:

EE here, thanks for the comment. The ignorant don’t understand and the NAY sayers are clueless. I design RF based products in the 434 MHz range and have had to deal with the same issue, although, I think you’ve uncovered a mystery as to why a whole block can be affected simultaneously by a federal security method.

1. kmrod says:

the “mystery” is his tinfoil hat is too tight.

2. jerrykregle says:

but it is possible to send out some kind of pulse that can disable semiconductors
        That Is why I prefer Tube Ham radio over carbon semiconductors

3. RF ENG 2 says:

All someone would have to do is to broadcast a signal that is 1) strong enough 2) broadband enough, and 3) near the center frequency of the garage door openers. This would compress the receivers front-end amplifiers and would not allow the garage door opener to work. Period. Someone in the center of the block with just enough know-how could easily transmit this type of signal into an omni-directional antenna that would shut down the entire block.

4. m jenn says:

Check out Arvada, CO for recent similar occurence, KUSA.COM.
      It was a local interference with an antennae effect combined with large lightiung display hooked to same outlet as the opener. All homes in the neighbirhood had the same brand, builder installed.

1. Gaby says:

Hello. I’ve added the cmoment reply feature to my blog. However, the issue I’m having is on my other pages that you can create through blogger, when the cmoment feature is set to enable for them and click on “reply” it brings up a “We’re sorry, but we were unable to complete your request.” message.By any chance could you tell me what I am doing wrong? I mean it’s working properly on the main blog page. But doesn’t work properly on the other pages, for example about me, and etc.Any help with this would be highly appreciated. Thank you!!

5. LEAD SHIELD says:

SMART METERS ??

6. Jason Rahall says:

The FCC only responds quickly if a nipple is shown on tv. I would claim the children will be traumatized by the openers not working.

1. Dana says:

Take off the cover on the front part of you graage door opener. The part facing the door. There is a series of 10 to 12 switches. very small, they will be set in a certain order. Remove the back of your opener, sometimes the front. You’ll see the same number of switches. You need to set these so they match you switch series on the door opener itself. My dads had 12 switches. They are very small and you’ll need a ladder and good lighting helps. Hope this has helped you.

2. electrical engineer says:

Another thing to look out for unless you put a filter on the opener is the new LED in home lighting. That stuff sprays all over the EM spectrum and will jam your garage door immediately until they’re turned off.

1. Bill says:

How did you learn all of this?

2. RF eng says:

Yep you are right again.

3. jnsesq says:

Good to know, EE, especially since I plan on replacing my annoying Chinese CFL bulbs (including the garage’s) with LEDs eventually. Thx.

1. electrical engineer says:

I found that one out when a guy i know asked me to trouble shoot his garage door. I put a corcom filter on the lighting switch even took the opener off the same circuit and it still jammed which pointed to radiated emissions. Put an EM meter near the lights and viola !! found the problem.

2. RocketMan says:

Total BS. I replaced my lights in the garage door openers and ceiling lights 6 months ago with the CFL bulbs and it has no, zero, nada effect on the garage door opener, even if they are left on on the time. It is completely false to say it does! I am a nuclear engineer and I know some of these statements that are being made are just made up, make believe. Stop it!!! The leds will last much longer and is a better choise but the CFL bulbs WILL NOT cause a problem with your opener.

1. RocketMan says:

Sorry it’s choice not choise.

2. Chris, Kentucky says:

electrical engineer said LED bulbs are the EM terrorists.
        jnsesq said he/she was thankful for EE’s information, as he/she will soon be replacing his/her CFL bulbs (which are annoying) with LED ones and now he/she knows he might need a filter.
        RocketMan is a nuclear engineer who either doesn’t know how to read or is having relationship problems.

3. Chris, Kentucky says:

I forgot a /she in there. Remind me why we went on a crusade against gendered terms. I was taught ‘he’ does not mean the subject is male, however ‘she’ is reserved for female use only. Instead of changing firemen to firepeople (man was originally short for human and did not mean the subject is implicitly male) they should have just taught kids that the terms ‘she’ ‘her’ and ‘woman’ were gendered and therefore sexist.

3. Ereny says:

rich nailed it, most lkleiy a problem with the door. springs do lose tension over time and need to be adjusted. disconnect the door from the opener. lift the door about half way up. at this point, the door should stay put or drift down VERY slowly. if it slams down, you need the springs to be adjusted. if you are in a cold climate, check the door for grease. grease freezes and gums up causing friction on the door and opener. use oil to lubricate rollers, pulleys (if you have them), and hinges. you can adjust the up sensitivity on the opener to force it to lift the door, but if you don’t correct any door problem, you will end up causing potentially irrepairable damage to the door or opener. to adjust the sensitivity on that model, i believe there are 2 knobs on the side or back of the opener, sometimes under the light cover. look for the antenna (a small black wire hanging down), the knobs will be above that. turn the knob labeled up clockwise. they are usually labeled 1 to 7 or 8. 1 is the lowest setting and will cause the opener to shut off at the slightest pressure. the highest number represents the highest amount of pressure the opener is capable of exerting. make adjustments in small increments.as a cautionary note, if you need to adjust spring tension and are unsure of how to do it, DON’T. find somebody who can or find the proper procedure. i personally know of 3 people who are no longer on this earth because they messed up while playing with springs. good luck and ask any more questions you have.

4. Mr Lawless says:

Its solar flares, we are being bombarded by them… the gov isnt telling us the full story on it. they have a write up at http://www.WarnWire.com our whole power grid could go.

5. Bruce says:

Several years ago, there was a controversy in the door business. The frequency band that is used by the industry is a problem because the military has primary control over the band9even though they haven’t used it in decades), and they had a new communication system that they began to use between their bases. It was not necessarily a secure thing-just a closed radio system for the depots to use. It became an issue and was a problem for some time, but if memory serves, the military backed down due to the immense impact of millions of homeowners potentially complaining.

1. Bill says:

You are Correct Sir!
      And that system was known as SGT YORK.

Yours truly,
      IEW Elec. Eng. US Army 1986-1998

6. Mo Res says:

The story doesn’t appear to be very well written. When they say the openers stopped working I assume they mean the machine that actually opens the garage door no longer would open the garage door. Not that the remote wasn’t able to trigger the garage door opener any more. There shouldn’t be any interference between the button on the wall the opener itself. If it is indeed the opener that no longer works and not just the remote interference then I am betting some thief shortly after Christmas tried out one of those illegal code senders and accidentally fried the boards for the whole block.

1. Dave Engineer says:

So which is it, the control button inside the garage/residence won’t open the garage door or the remote control won’t open the garage door? I agree more facts are needed to make an intelligent decision.

1. RF eng says:

The RF receiver is saturated “near” frequency radio interference at some transmission power level. I’ve been dealing with the same issue for a product I designed. Although there is minor rf pollution, this case describes a more intentional method of interference. I would not be surprised that there is a federal department with federal authority to be able to “block” public domain low power receivers such as garage door openers and in some cases, car doors using 315 ~ 434 MHZ range receivers.

7. Maobama says:

There have been several instances of entire towns in England having things like this happen lately. Not just garage doors but anything wireless. TV remotes, radios, garage openers, etc…

8. denver bill says:

Search all the basements on the block. ET’s in one of them.

9. Michael Gene says:

LED lighting is subject to the same regs as anything thing else, we meet all EMI and EMC standards. Stop hating the cleanest and most efficient lighting source available today.

1. AA in VA says:

Not all LED bulbs are the same. I installed a new one in a multi light fixture that already had one LED bulb and a CFL. I quickly found out that when the lights were on, my TV reception failed (over the air HD antenna). I moved the new LED bulb to the basement and the reception returned.

If it matters, the 1st LED bulb that caused no interference was from Lowes. The 2nd (bad) bulb was from Home Depot.

1. electrical engineer says:

The LED lighting in question I spoke of was the under the counter lighting that had a phase chopper for a dimmer. I didn’t mean to condemn all LED lighting. Although I would be highly surprised if they didn’t all use some sort of phase choppers in them.

10. GarageDOORGUY says:

The problem here is related to RF interference. Somebody with in those five homes plugged in an electronic devise shortly after the holidays. The device is now emitting RF near 315MHz (most GDO manufacturers are in the 315MHz range right now) which is jamming the radio reciever on the garage door opener. The only solution is to find the RF source and stop it. If the RF source can not be found or eliminated the home owners will have to change the garage door opener reciever and transmitter frequency.

1. Bob Riddell says:

That is correct. Find a local Ham Radio Club that could assist in locating the source of the interference. The ham’s would most likely enjoy a good “Fox” hunt.

2. Joedrumma says:

Could it be that a remote is stuck in the on position? This could be a pin pad or one built into a vehicle (some of the folks in the cul-de-sac are retired and I believe one person works from home, so the cars could be home most of the time, although I find this less likely). The range is linited to almost the exact range of a garage door transmiiter. Houses only a few hundred yards beyond the circle aren’t affected, which makes me think it’s a stuck pin pad – one of those units mounted to the outside of the garage on the front of the house, broadcasting into the circle.

11. Red Cloud says:

The Aliens are responible! lol

12. John says:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I can pull a cord on my opener to release the mechanism and pull the door up manually. Not sure what the point of jamming would be?

1. jerrykregle says:

the problem is most people don’t know the answer to a doorbell
      let alone what the red chord is for in the garage

1. Bunky says:

Jerry,
        loved your comment!!

13. Tommy says:

Interesting that someone brought up Homeland Security. It sounds like an absurd suggestion to most people, but that does not mean it is not possible. My first question would be why? What purpose would they have for doing it? Is it to keep people from opening their garage doors in an emergency? Maybe to avoid having a massive number of cars on the road at the same time in some sort of catastrophic event? Nah, people could just pull the red cord on garage doors and lift it themselves right. Those things are pretty easy to lift right.

1. kmrod says:

“…but that does not mean it is not possible…” ………….. ahh, the mating cry of the conspiracy theorist.

It also sounds absurd to say Kenyan elephant farts are causing a disruption in the local EM fields but that doesn’t mean it’s not possible!!

1. Skeptical says:

What I think he’s saying, is “Yes, it would be possible for someone to build and deploy an RF jammer that blocks GDO frequencies, but why would they?”

As noted in many of the postings above, it is possible to accidentally jam a GDO already, so obviously a purpose-built device would be possible. The better question would be “why”? Why build such a thing in the first place, when as noted you can easy open the garage door manually. And why would they leave it running for more than a month, if this started right after Christmas?

I just had a thought. They do make jammers for this – they use them in Iraq and Afghanistan to defeat IEDs – look up “Warlock jammer”. Insurgents were using GDO’s as triggers for some of the IEDs. But that gets back to the question – why leave it running for month? We have means, but no motive.

I’ve had to use the emergency release on the door before during a power outage, and it’s doable. Not so much fun when you have a busted spring -that happened as well.

2. James Bamford says:

Here’s a potential scenario. You’re TSA and your are doing questionable surveillance of a target residence. The target drives a car with tinted windows and they always pull up and into the garage without ever opening the car doors. You don’t know who is inside and you want to be able to snap some photos and get some video of the target. Disabling the garage door is an easy way to force the target out into the open so you can get the data you need.

1. kmrod says:

If someone doesn’t want to be seen that much then he’d call inside to have someone open the door.

You conspiracy people read too much Robert Ludlum. HAHAHAHA

14. Matt says:

Could this simply be some guy getting a cell phone, WiFi, etc. repeater/relay antenna for Christmas (i.e. problem started right after Christmas), installing it incorrectly (i.e. putting repeater/interior antenna too close to source/exterior antenna), creating a ton of oscillation in the RF spectrum? I know this is a frequent mistake made by consumers of such repeaters. It can be devistating to RF based products w/in a sizeable area.

15. Snitch-in-Time says:

Garage Door Openers are RF systems with a transmitter in the car and a receiver near the opener motor. Last time I looked, they are FCC Part 15 Class B devices with the following requirement: “Must not interfer with licensed services and must accept interference from licensed serices.” Depending on the frequency used for the opener, these things could be interferred with by WiFi access points, or even baby monitors. It is also possible that there is a “mixing product” where two signals mix and happen to produce a signal the garage door opener’s receiver finds to be yummier than that produced by the sender. Now, before resigning people to the tin foil hat table, there have been numerous credible reports from main scream media sources of new military and emergency managment RF equipment interferring with garage door openers. These reports go back to 2004 and have been reported in diverse places in the US and Canada.

16. Chad S. Andrews says:

We had something similar happen out here just before Christmas.

17. Jim says:

I can see law enforcement having an interest and/or capability to jam. Wireless devices are frequently used to trigger IED’s. Seems unlikely the govt is involved with this particular story however.

18. Scott says:

It’s probably some CB’er with a couple of KW’s workin’ the SKIP. Probably on Ch. 6!

19. mike says:

It’s called a jammer. My 14 year old neighbor makes them. Just shows you how lame the news today.

20. Rocky says:

Let’s not complicate this fella’s. Did anyone have the thought that it might just be some wise a-holes that picked up a bootlegged jammer on the streets ?
    That market is in avery major city.
    They are very good to jam the obnoxious and phony cell users while you are having dinner in that expensive restaurant with your wife on your anneversary.
    I can’t wait to see what happens when the solar storms start to trickle down !

1. John says:

If you have a typical ggarae door that rolls up a set of tracks, it won’t fall off. However, the door will be much heavier, and could be dangerous because the springs aren’t there to assist in holding it open, or slowing it down as it closes. It could slam shut. It will also put additional strain on your ggarae door opener (if you have one) and could break the carriage.

21. Tom Genin says:

Lightning strike in area. Simple.

22. Jim Frank says:

Look for the science geek with the tesla coil in his garage. :d

23. mcs says:

Figure 1: “Understand the procedure now? Just stop a few of their machines…throw them into darkness for a few hours, and then sit back and watch the pattern.”
    Figure 2: “Then I take it this place…this Maple Street…is not unique?”
    Figure 1: “By no means. Their world is full of Maple Streets. We’ll go from one to the other and let them destroy themselves. One to the other…one to the other…one to the other…”

24. Patches Pullman says:

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”
    – Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

—- http://911essentials.com

25. Afghan Taliban says:

Somebody used or turned on a Duke system. Hahahaha!

26. Dan Marinelli says:

Since I can’t attach the PDF here.

PRESS CONTACT: DA 05-424
    Bruce Romano: 202-418-2124 February 15, 2005
    Consumers May Experience Interference To Their Garage
    Door Opener Controls Near Military Bases
    Consumers near certain military installations have recently experienced interference to
    their garage door opener controls that may reduce the operating distance or cause the device to
    stop operating. This public notice is issued to explain the cause of the interference and the steps
    being taken to alleviate this problem. The vast majority of consumers will not experience any
    interference to their garage door opener controls.
    Garage door openers operate, legally under Part 15 of the Commissions rules, at very low
    power on an “unlicensed basis,” and have been permitted to operate on frequencies that have
    been reserved for the federal government since WWII for air/ground communications systems,
    but received limited use by the government for many years. As unlicensed devices, there is no
    right to protection from interference. However, because of this limited use, the risk of
    interference was similarly limited, so manufacturers of garage door openers chose these
    frequencies for their transmit and receive devices. In response to the increased needs of
    homeland security, the Department of Defense now must make more use of these frequencies to
    deploy new mobile radio systems on and around certain military bases.
    Some consumers near these bases may experience interference to their garage door
    openers that can reduce operating range or cause the remote control to cease functioning. This
    interference will not cause the garage doors to open or close on their own. Inside the garage,
    wall-mounted push buttons will not be affected by any interference that might occur, and will
    continue to operate normally.
    It is not possible to predict in advance which specific users or locations near military
    bases may experience interference, because of the variety of technical characteristics of garage
    door controls and configuration of the mobile radio systems. The Department of Defense is
    working with the National Telecommunications and Information Administration to make
    reasonable effort consistent with their mission requirements, and the Federal Communications
    Commission is working with the garage door opener industry to make every effort on their part,
    to minimize the impact to consumers.
    For security reasons, the Department of Defense cannot make information broadly
    available in advance as to the deployment of the new mobile radio systems. Individual base
    commanders may make some information available to their local communities when appropriate.
    Garage door opener manufacturers stand ready to help consumers resolve any
    interference to their systems, including, in some cases, making available for purchase, a
    replacement transmitter and receiver that operate on a different frequency that is not used by the
    new mobile radio systems.
    Consumers experiencing interference should contact the manufacturer of the door opener
    control or their local installer for information on available immediate solutions.
    For further information on this Public Notice, please contact the FCC Call Center at 1-
    888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322).

1. Skeptical says:

The problem is, there’s not a DoD facility or base shown on the map near them. They are good ways west of St Louis, and there are a couple of smaller airports (Creve Couer and Spirit of St. Louis) to the east and south of them. But I would expect RF interference from airport equipment to affect a larger area.

More than likely, this is an inadvertant EMI problem with something that came online after the 1st of the year.

27. Steven Goodwin says:

Part of the FCC part 15 rules for ALL consumer electronics, including your garage door openers
    I’m going to paraphrase here… but it goes something like this…:

“This device may not cause any harmful interference and must accept any interference received from other devices”
    So take off your tinfoil hat, quit your whining and open the door by hand

28. Dan Marinelli says:

When I was in the Navy, either my Air Search Radar a SPS-48E working around 433MHz or our WSC-3 UHF Transceivers operating at 399.975MHz took out an entire neighborhood. I wonder if theirs any company’s listed in Norfolk or San Diego or another Navy Base that is use to this problem and might give better suggestions.

Do the affected houses point to anything on a map? Either the cause within the area. Or a map line leading to the problem. Did someone get something new for their ham radio during Christmas that needs a filter, or possibly a UHF cordless phone with extended range (they have one’s on the market that go miles & miles of reliably)?

One might check the antenna on the Garage door opener. Some extend a wire. In Norfolk some people extended that wire to the outside of their house, and by driving closer to the door they were able to get the door too work.

29. davec says:

Nothing like non-news to bring out the COnspiracy nuts.

Dont you idiots realise this isnt the Govt, its the EMP from the Iranian nuclear bomb?

Oh, wait, they dont have one yet.

Go find the moron with the high powered wireless router…

Just take the antenna off the GDO and test the transmitter right next to it.

Stupid statement:

“Did someone get something new for their ham radio during Christmas that needs a filter, ”

A Ham radio that they are constantly transmitting on? SO much for intelligence..

1. Dan Marinelli says:

30. fios says:

verizon fios has been known to interfere with garage door openers

31. Dan Marinelli says:

Dave C. I see you’ve lived in a neighborhood where this actually happened before like me. What were your previous results. Did you pull the antenna off the Garage Door motor, or extend the wire like I said.

Your such a nice person. I bet your the best admired person in your neighborhood.
    Just look at how helpful you’ve been here, to try and help point to a direction of where the problem exist. Theirs no restraining orders on your sociopath self is there !!!

Your SOooo Smart Maybe I can come over the Convenience store you work at and tip over your Slurpy machine and really give you something to do for the day.

32. Dan Marinelli says:

Dave C: Your not the Rocket Scientist who worked at Sears and told everyone too up grade their 1/2 Hp door opener for the stronger 1/4 Hp one are you? (Since 4 is bigger than 2 in the 1/2 & 1/4)

Oh come on Dave, Don’t LIE,,,,, you know you were that IDIOT.
    Those Emails are still circulating.

33. Dan Marinelli says:

Steven There are
    Optimist who believe the Glass is half full
    Pessimist who believe the Glass is half empty.
    And we can’t forget the third category can we !!!!!
    Engineers who believe the Glass is twice as big as it needs to be!!.

34. Greg says:

This is because of the angle of the light in the morning. It blinds the safety sensor so that the door won’t come down. It’s starting to get brighter in the mornings, and the angle of the light from the sun is changing because the earth is slowly tilting away from winter and toward spring. I had to get out of my car this morning, stand in the sunlight, and cast a shadow on the sensor so that the garage door would close.

1. kmrod says:

did you even read the article?

35. john says:

I would guess it is something electronic that was a Christmas gift causing the problem.

36. fatjoe says:

I wonder if the entire court was built at the same time and the builders used the same pack of batteries for all the receivers and maybe they all expired at once because they came from the same batch.

37. Ken Puck says:

Look to China and The People’s Liberation Army. They are in the final stages of mastering total control over this nation’s electrical grid and are now toying with the buttons to see if their outsize creation works. File this under “demonstration project.”

38. Al Phresceaux says:

How about this… Five houses only. All on a “Court”. Probably all built at the same time by the same builder, using the same cheapest possible opener. They all failed.

39. Mark Carlton says:

What a poorly written article! What isn’t working? The remote control units? The hard-wired pushbuttons? Do the units all have power? Any good reporter would have noted these items within ten minutes, and the troubleshooting would have been half done or better.

1. Joedrumma says:

It’s the wireless remotes. The doors open & close just fine with the hard wired controls. I live one street over, a one minute walk at most, and I’m not affected.

40. myself says:

Mystery solved. They just found out that a transformer blew, and the power was out. Now get back to work.

41. Mrr Roan N Gnome says:

Did anyone think to look at the “Mystery Switch” in the Bob and Mary’s pantry? You know, the one no one can figure our what it does? I’m just sayin….

42. Tom Davidson says:

I once had a garage door opener suddenly quit working. It happened the moment a lightning bolt struck a block away. It was the EMP that fried the chip in the garage door opener.

43. Jackie Fever says:

Has anyone considered that it could be electromagnetic phenomenon from the New Madrid Fault Line?

44. Jon Doe says:

Hey Tyrone, has it ever occurred to you that your index finger “can be used to trigger an explosive device”?

What a brilliant mind you have!!

45. kmrod says:

Look at all the bigoated Drudge whities posting now trying to blame Obama.

46. MR says:

MIGHT HAVE BEEN A LIGHTNING STRIKE NEARBY!
    This happened in my neighborhood a few years ago. The garage of a new house was struck. It started a fire in the attic of that garage and destroyed every new appliance in that house. Fortunately it was raining so hard at the time that the storm itself put the fire out. The flash from the lightning strike was one of the brightest things I’ve ever seen. And it obliterated every garage door opener (the electric eyes are blinded by the flash) within five houses in every direction of the strike.

1. kmrod says:

Link or its not true

47. Professor Henry Higgins says:

kmrod

“You obviously don’t know grammer [sic]. Typical republican [sic]”

February 6, 2012 at 5:20 pm

You obviously don’t know grammar, spelling and punctuation — especially in your birth language.

What makes it so much fun is your excoriation of others for similar illiteracy.

But thanks for the hypocrisy demonstration.

48. Coop says:

A power outage or solar flare (January 27, 2012) will reset the wireless garage door opener. The hard wired control will still work. Just follow the instructions to reset the wireless receiver on the control box. Coop

49. Joedrumma says:

One of the cul-de-sac residents unplugged their low voltage landscape lighting this afternoon and it all started working again. Problem solved.

50. Joedrumma says:

One of the cul-de-sac residents unplugged the transformer for their low voltage landscape lighting this afternoon and it all started working again. Problem solved.

51. Nathaniel6106l says:

When you need some important recommendation, pleaseobey my experience. I felt stressed and doomed, but occasionally I found this professional set of tips. I was searching for comments to essential questions and made a hand. experience I got with portable cell phone jammers enhanced me getting surety and proper pride. currently, I realize how to live and choose my way.

52. garage door repair las vegas says:

Garage Doors of Las Vegas Services and Repairs All Brands

53. Scentsy,Scentsy Candles,Scentsy Wickless Candles,Buy Scentsy,Buy Scentsy Products,Buy Scentsy Products Online,Buy Scentsy Candles,Buy Scentsy Wickless Candles,Buy Scentsy Online,Buy Scentsy Candles Online,Shop for Scentsy,Shop for Scentsy Products,Shop fo says:

Fantastic post, you received a new reader. Cheers!

54. Fred Blogs says:

If you are thinking about buying some new HiFi gear and need some advice, can I respectfully request that you have a look at http://www.hifigear.co.uk. They have a blog, lots of info and love giving out advice.