ST. LOUIS, (KMOX) - Republican senatorial candidate hopeful John Brunner’s campaign staff reports a new poll from American Viewpoint, a partisan GOP polling firm, that shows Brunner leading his primary opponents 40 percent to 20 percent each for Rep. Todd Akin and former Treasurer Sarah Steelman.
The following outlines the key findings from a survey commissioned by Brunner for Senate. N = 600 interviews were conducted statewide with likely GOP primary voters June 19-21, 2012. The margin of error for the entire sample is +/- 4%.
John Brunner now has a commanding lead on the ballot test in the primary.
• Brunner leads with 40% of the vote with 20% each for Akin and Steelman, 19% of voters are still undecided.
• Brunner’s advantage is double that of his opponents vote share.
• A further signal of his command of the race is evidenced by his strong advantage with those aware of all 3 candidates (56% of electorate) Brunner leads with 44% of the ballot, 22% for Akin, 18% for Steelman.
Brunner has the strongest statewide perceptual definition.
• Brunner’s media campaign has allowed him to achieve 78% statewide name ID, with 53% having a favorable impression of him and only 5% having an unfavorable impression.
• 81% of voters are aware of Steelman, with 49% having a favorable impression and 15% having an unfavorable impression. Akin’s name ID is 70% with 40% having a favorable opinion, 7% unfavorable.
Brunner’s message continues to connect with primary voters and separate him from the field.
• 50% of GOP primary voters now report having seen, read, or heard something recently regarding John Brunner. Among these voters, Brunner has pushed his advantage to a commanding lead of 61% for Brunner, 18% for Akin, 13% for Steelman, 7% undecided.
For 20 years American Viewpoint has been one of the leading Republican polling firms in the country, with a record of winning difficult races.