For more trusted health
news and information,
visit CBS St. Louis's
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – Our recent increase in rainfall is leading to a corresponding increase in mushrooms popping up across the area. And while some wild mushrooms are edible, others can cause dangeous and frightening symptoms.
The director of the Missouri Poison Center at Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center, Julie Weber, says in the past couple of days, they’ve received more than 20 calls about kids eating wild mushrooms found in their yards.
“The problem is, in Missouri, we do have a mushroom called an Amanita mushroom,” Weber said. “These are very toxic, they can damage the liver and some can cause renal damage.”
Weber says it’s hard to identify which wild mushrooms are edible and which aren’t. That’s why she says parents need to call the Missouri Poison Center right away when they believe their child has eaten a wild mushroom. The number is 1-800-222-1222.
“Your call will be answered within 30 seconds and it only takes us three minutes to have your answer.”
Weber suggests parents check their yards for mushrooms and get rid of them before letting the kids out to play.