From Sports Open Line
It’s an interesting day here in Jupiter with the Astros in for this afternoon’s game. We haven’t seen the roster that Houston brought with them for this game yet but they have former Cardinals Brett Wallace, Tyler Greene and Rick Ankiel in camp as position players and there are quite a few front office/coaching connections as well.
Obviously, Jeff Luhnow is the Astros’ GM. Plus you have Dan Radison, Dennis Martinez and Jeff Murphy on the coaching staff. I’m sure there are others that I’m missing at the moment that’s quite a few people with recent connections to the Cards.
Mike Matheny said just a bit ago that it’s nice to see familiar faces and you hope they do well with their new opportunities but he said, even though it’s a Spring Training game, you still want to make sure you beat them.
Okay, let’s get to the updates…
* I guess Shelby Miller really isn’t an “injury” update at this point but there is an update related to a previous injury that cost him a couple of days work last week. He’s throwing a live batting practice session today and if all goes well he should see game action soon.
* Allen Craig is starting today as the DH as he continues to deal with a right shoulder issue. It’s clearly not enough of a problem to keep him from swinging the bat comfortably. Throwing is the issue but everyone here is saying it’s not a big deal, they’re just being cautious.
* Matt Adams is listed on the roster to travel to Ft. Myers for tomorrow’s game against Boston but he’s still having some trouble with his knee. He woke up sore yesterday after playing a full game on Saturday. He’s sore enough today, in fact, that he didn’t take part in the Cardinals stretching/warm-up routine when they took the field.
* Nothing new on Rafael Furcal except that he had a cortisone injection since the last time I blogged. He’s being handled carefully, as planned, so we won’t know much about how he’ll do with taxing throws until we get closer to Opening Day.
In non-injury news…
* Matheny said they liked what Matt Carpenter did at second base in game action over the weekend. There are some details that he’s working to refine but Matheny did say that he made all the plays and that these thing he’s working on are things that almost have to come on the fly rather than be taught in advance. They are “feel” things, for lack of a better term.
* The Cardinals have their rotation planned out for the rest of the week: Adam Wainwright starts today, Jaime Garcia goes tomorrow, Lance Lynn starts on Wednesday (he’ll be one of my guests on Sports Open Line tonight), Jake Westbrook gets the Thursday start and Joe Kelly will take the mound on Friday.
Here’s the lineup for this afternoon’s game against Houston:
1. Jon Jay, CF
2. Kolten Wong, 2B
3. Matt Holliday, LF
4. Allen Craig, DH
5. Yadier Molina, C
6. David Freese, 3B
7. Ty Wigginton, 1B
8. Shane Robinson, RF
9. Pete Kozma, SS
Wainwright starts…Seth Maness, Jason Motte and Mitchell Boggs are scheduled to work as well.
More later on Twitter (@KMOXWheeler) and, of course, during Total Information PM and Sports Open Line this afternoon/evening…