Jersey Sales Reflect Molina’s Popularity
Today, Major League Baseball released a list of the best-selling jerseys of 2013 based on online jersey sales from MLB.com.
Yadier Molina comes in 3rd place behind fellow national league catcher Buster Posey and one of the greatest closers of all time, Mariano Rivera.
Also appearing in the top 20 are Rookie Outfielder Yasiel Puig of the Los Angeles Dodgers and All-Star pitcher Matt Harvey of the New York Mets.
The rest of the top 20 best-selling jerseys are as follows:
1. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
2. Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
3. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
4. David Wright, New York Mets
5. Matt Harvey, New York Mets
6. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
7. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
8. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
9. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
10. Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
11. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
12. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
13. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
14. Matt Kemp, Los Angeles Dodgers
15. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
16. Sergio Romo, San Francisco Giants
17. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
18. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
19. Pablo Sandoval, San Francisco Giants
20. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers
12 of the top 20 jerseys belong to National League players and, as Hardball Talk’s Aaron Gleeman points out, 11 of the twenty players are from the Giants, Dodgers, Yankees, and Mets. And, Gleeman notes, of the nine players to win MVP awards in the last five years five of them (Ryan Braun, Josh Hamilton, Joe Mauer, Joey Votto, and Albert Pujols) did not make the top 20.