ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – After a luggage theft and drive-by shooting on the St. Louis riverfront, a riverboat excursion company is asking the city to upgrade security on the cobblestones under the Gateway Arch.
In July, two gunmen took luggage from travelers on the ramp to the American Queen. A couple of weeks ago, shots rang out as Charles Glenn’s band was loading up after performing on the Queen of the Mississippi.
That has Queen of the Mississippi operator American Cruise Lines talking to St. Louis Police.
“We have had conversations with them and we plan to discuss further with them in the springtime before we return to our St. Louis port,” American Cruise Lines spokesperson Britt Rabinovici said.
Glenn, best known for performing the National Anthem before Blues games, told KMOX News last week that his band won’t play on the riverfront after dark following the Nov. 1 drive-by shooting.
“When it comes to St. Louis, it’s just not…it’s not that safe,” Glenn said, adding that he is saddened because he brags about St. Louis everywhere he goes and enjoys playing on the Queen of the Mississippi. No one was injured in the shooting and no arrests were made.
Rabinovici says the company expects St. Louis Police to add security before the boat returns in June. If they don’t, American Cruise Lines won’t rule out hiring private security to keep passengers safe.
“It’s a beautiful city. Our passengers are interested in it and I think the St. Louis Police Department…I think they’ll react appropriately and I think we’ll be fine,” Rabinovici said.