CLAYTON, Mo. (KMOX) – Voters in Clayton say they’ve got some serious concerns about a $12 million ballot proposal coming up for a vote in April.
The ballot initiative would renovate the old Shaw Park ice rink, adding a multi-use green space for sports like soccer and lacrosse that would convert into an ice rink in the winter.
The space could be used year-round. The city insists that this will not only increase the number of people who use the space, but also allow the city to bring in some money by easily renting out the green space to local youth sports clubs.
But still, not everyone is sold.
“I live on the park, and I don’t want to see a big structure,” one resident said. “I don’t want the noise.”
Another resident said they aren’t being given enough information about how the money will be used. Many others were concerned that the plan just wasn’t fleshed out enough.
This proposal and three others will be on the ballot in Clayton in April. There are two measures that would increase the sales tax by a quarter of a percent each, and a $15 million bond proposal for roads.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Weather Warnings for Parts of Area
- Missouri Governor Greitens Fined for State Campaign Finance Violations
- Endangered Person Advisory Issued for Missing O’Fallon, MO Woman
- Fair St. Louis Announces Entertainment Lineup for 2017
- Metro Makes Effort to Hire More Police to Patrol Trains
- Pastor: Illinois Soldier Killed in Attack in Afghanistan