ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – Atlanta Archbishop Wilton Gregory was the bishop of Belleville from 1994 to 2004.
Now, he’s apologizing to Atlanta Catholics for building a $2.2 million mansion for himself. He’d been criticized by Catholics for building and moving into the massive residence, made possible by a large grant from a wealthy donor.
The Archbishop says he personally failed to project the cost in terms of his own integrity and pastoral credibility with his members.
Gregory says if the church wants him to sell the home, he’ll do so and move somewhere else.
Pope Francis has made an example of frugal living, choosing not to live in the traditional papal apartment in the Apostolic Palace, but rather in a suite in the Vatican guesthouse.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Alderman President Optimistic for Amazon Proposal
- Unknown Child Dropped Off in Bellefontaine Neighbors
- 2017 Musial Awards: Jackie Joyner-Kersee To Receive Lifetime Achievement Award
- Mizzou Reviews Alert System After Emergency
- Innocent Bystanders Caught in Mass Protest Arrests
- Wash U Study Reveals Alarming Crime Statistics