ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – Atlanta Archbishop Wilton Gregory was the bishop of Belleville from 1994 to 2004.
Now, he’s apologizing to Atlanta Catholics for building a $2.2 million mansion for himself. He’d been criticized by Catholics for building and moving into the massive residence, made possible by a large grant from a wealthy donor.
The Archbishop says he personally failed to project the cost in terms of his own integrity and pastoral credibility with his members.
Gregory says if the church wants him to sell the home, he’ll do so and move somewhere else.
Pope Francis has made an example of frugal living, choosing not to live in the traditional papal apartment in the Apostolic Palace, but rather in a suite in the Vatican guesthouse.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Weather Warnings for Parts of Area
- Missouri Governor Greitens Fined for State Campaign Finance Violations
- Endangered Person Advisory Issued for Missing O’Fallon, MO Woman
- Fair St. Louis Announces Entertainment Lineup for 2017
- Metro Makes Effort to Hire More Police to Patrol Trains
- Pastor: Illinois Soldier Killed in Attack in Afghanistan