SPRINGFIELD, Il. (KMOX) – It’s become such an issue that Illinois State Police are now listing on its website the weapons instructors who have lost their license to conduct concealed carry classes.
Since January, 13 of the 2700 instructors have been caught cheating, and that has local instructors shaking their heads.
Waller Gun Club owner Marty Waller doesn’t understand why after all it took to get concealed carry passed in Illinois, instructors are breaking the law.
“I’m not willing to break the law for someone else to be able to carry a weapon,” he says. “I think if Illinois requires it, then it’s something that needs to be done.”
He says the 16 hours of required training is excessive, but that’s no reason to break the law.
“When you’re training people who have been around guns their entire life, I can see the ease in skimping on class,” he says. “But at the same time, if these people are paying a lot of money for 16 hours of training, you probably ought to give it to them.
Element Firearms Instructor Allen Keilman says the real victims are the applicants who have to go through training again.
“This past week we’ve had some of these people in our classes,” he says. “We do what we can, and we gave them some discounted rates to do that.”
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Chappelle-Nadal Wants Missouri to Divest from Russian Federation
- Former President George H.W. Bush’s Movement Disorder Mimics Parkinson’s
- Police Believe 15-Year-Old Shot to Death Was Targeted
- Archdiocese Warns City: If Bill Enacted, ‘We Will March Into Fed. Court’
- UPDATE: Last Minute City Plan, “Path Forward” with State, Could Save Soccer Stadium Proposal
- Bomb Threat Causes Evacuation at Jewish Community Center