UNIVERSITY CITY, Mo. (AP/KMOX) – A tornado touched down briefly in the University City, damaging some homes and bringing down trees and power lines.
No injuries were immediately reported.
Severe Weather Central
Jim Sieveking, of the National Weather Service in St. Louis, says the tornado touched down at 5:23 a.m. Thursday as a strong storm system with intense lightning and heavy rain moved through the St. Louis region.
KMOX’s Brett Blume and Michael Calhoun are on the scene and report there are trees blocking streets, damage to some homes and power lines on the ground.
Some people were asked to leave their homes in a neighborhood where crews are working to find the source of a strong gas smell.
About 7,000 people were without power shortly after the storm.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Crash Kills Three In Belleville
- Medical Experts Testify Pilot in Fatal Hot Air Balloon Crash Should Not Have Been Flying
- 1 Injured in Bayless High School Shooting
- Cementland Fire Raises Questions
- Bond Set At $1,000,000 For Suspected Killer Of Cab Driver
- Missouri Gov. Nixon to Work as Lawyer After Term Ends