Tornado Touches Down In University City
UNIVERSITY CITY, Mo. (AP/KMOX) - A tornado touched down briefly in the University City, damaging some homes and bringing down trees and power lines.
No injuries were immediately reported.
Severe Weather Central
Jim Sieveking, of the National Weather Service in St. Louis, says the tornado touched down at 5:23 a.m. Thursday as a strong storm system with intense lightning and heavy rain moved through the St. Louis region.
KMOX’s Brett Blume and Michael Calhoun are on the scene and report there are trees blocking streets, damage to some homes and power lines on the ground.
Some people were asked to leave their homes in a neighborhood where crews are working to find the source of a strong gas smell.
About 7,000 people were without power shortly after the storm.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Man Charged in Shooting Officers in Ferguson Discusses It In Jail Audio
- Missouri House Initially OKs Pledge of Allegiance in English
- Illinois Group Trying to Get More Rape Victims to Report to Police
- Missouri House Panel Sends Medical Marijuana Bill Forward
- 6-Year-Old’s Fast Action Saves Man from Burning Home
- Mo. Legislature Discusses Ferguson Bills; No Action Taken