Tornado Touches Down In University City
UNIVERSITY CITY, Mo. (AP/KMOX) – A tornado touched down briefly in the University City, damaging some homes and bringing down trees and power lines.
No injuries were immediately reported.
Severe Weather Central
Jim Sieveking, of the National Weather Service in St. Louis, says the tornado touched down at 5:23 a.m. Thursday as a strong storm system with intense lightning and heavy rain moved through the St. Louis region.
KMOX’s Brett Blume and Michael Calhoun are on the scene and report there are trees blocking streets, damage to some homes and power lines on the ground.
Some people were asked to leave their homes in a neighborhood where crews are working to find the source of a strong gas smell.
About 7,000 people were without power shortly after the storm.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Saturday Night Shooting Leaves Man In Critical Condition
- Ameren Announces $2.5 Million Program For Ferguson
- Scottrade Says Hack May Have Affected 4.6M Customers
- Gun Shots Outside of Local High School Football Game
- Police Pursuit Ends in I-270 Car Crash
- Two U. City High Students Arrested After Gun Discharges