JOPLIN, Mo. (AP) – A 28-year-old southwest Missouri woman has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for her role in a child abuse case that left her daughter severely underweight and fighting for her life.
Jasper County Circuit Judge Gayle Crane sentenced Beth Williams of Joplin on Monday to the maximum sentence allowed under a plea agreement she made with prosecutors.
The Joplin Globe reports Cameron Williams was taken to the emergency room of a Joplin hospital on July 1, 2012, unconscious and with a blood sugar level of zero. The 3-year-old girl weighed barely 12 pounds.
A doctor testified last year that two months after being taken from the home, the girl had grown 2 inches and gained 13 pounds.
Williams’ roommate, 28-year-0ld Christina Haidle, received the same sentence in February.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Craft Beer Recall Includes Missouri & Illinois
- Gas Prices Higher Than A Year Ago
- Homicide Detectives Staying Busy In St. Louis
- Free Tax Prep Offered To Illinoisans In Need
- Major Case Squad Called in for Collinsville, IL Killing
- Arrest Made In St. Louis Kidnapping Case