ST. LOUIS (AP) – Thousands of students from around the world are again descending on St. Louis for a championship robotics competition.
The U.S. FIRST event returns to the Edward Jones Dome and America’s Center downtown for the fourth straight year starting on Thursday.
Segway PT inventor Dean Kamen began the competition 25 years ago with the goal of boosting science in the way that high schools glorify sports.
The host organization’s full name is For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology. Organizers expect as many as 30,000 students, family members, coaches, mentors and spectators to attend.
The public is invited and admission is free.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Is Flag-Burning Illegal Under State Law?
- Troy, Missouri Woman Dies in I-70 Crash in St. Charles County
- One Man Shot to Death in Moline Acres
- Rauner Signs Plan Limiting Mentally Ill From Owning Guns
- There Are Real Benefits to Taking a Break From Work
- Man Guilty of Killing Wife With Drug-Laced Kool-Aid Mixture