EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) – A 66-year-old southwestern Illinois man has been ordered to spend what could be the rest of his life in prison for molesting a preschool-aged girl.
Harvey Burk Simington was sentenced Monday in Madison County to 32 years.
Jurors deliberated 45 minutes in December before convicting him of predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
The South Roxana man told investigators in a taped interview played for jurors that the victim, then 4, initiated the incident. Assistant State’s Attorney Amy Gabriel called that explanation preposterous.
The girl testified against Simington. On Monday during his sentencing, he called her “a very good little actress.”
Authorities say the abuse took place in early 2011 and surfaced about a year later.
The girl, now 6, is in foster care.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Granite City Man Suspected of Fairview Heights Break-In
- Kansas City Police to Begin Testing Body-Worn Cameras
- Man, Woman Hospitalized After Attack Near Their Home
- Man Gets 30 Years for Deadly St. Louis Bar Shooting
- Police Search for Vandals in Bebe Gun Spree
- Clergy Issues Demands Aimed At Stopping Police Shootings