EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) – A 66-year-old southwestern Illinois man has been ordered to spend what could be the rest of his life in prison for molesting a preschool-aged girl.
Harvey Burk Simington was sentenced Monday in Madison County to 32 years.
Jurors deliberated 45 minutes in December before convicting him of predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
The South Roxana man told investigators in a taped interview played for jurors that the victim, then 4, initiated the incident. Assistant State’s Attorney Amy Gabriel called that explanation preposterous.
The girl testified against Simington. On Monday during his sentencing, he called her “a very good little actress.”
Authorities say the abuse took place in early 2011 and surfaced about a year later.
The girl, now 6, is in foster care.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- WATCH: Blake Snyder’s Widow Does Facebook Live Q&A
- $11M in Heroin Found in Big Rig Pulled Over for Speeding
- Ex-Chiefs RB Joe McKnight Fatally Shot, Suspect in Custody
- Racist, Homophobic Fliers Left Outside Webster University Dorm Room
- East St. Louis Township Official Pleads Guilty to Wire Fraud
- Granite City Man Charged for Murder of Teenage Boy