JEFFERSON COUNTY, Mo. (KMOX) – Were you wondering what the backup on northbound I-55 in Jefferson County yesterday evening was all about?
Around 5 p.m., police in Ste. Genevieve County stopped the driver of an SUV for speeding.
The officer approached and the driver of the SUV stepped on the gas and raced northbound on “55”, police in pursuit.
The driver tried to avoid stop strips, overcorrected and flipped the SUV at the Imperial Main exit.
Police say since the driver and at least two passengers weren’t using seat belts, they were thrown out and died on the spot.
Only one passenger survived, with injuries. Three others, including the driver, are dead, their names not known and police still don’t know why the driver decided to run.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Major Case Squad Investigates Woman’s Death In Ferguson
- Man In Chimp Mask Robs O’Fallon MO Gas Station
- University of Chicago Calls Off Classes Over Online Threat
- St. Louis Police Work With Local FBI to Prevent Terrorist Attacks
- Mizzou Graduate Assistant Allegedly Assaulted Teenager Over Hijab
- Teen Dies After Early Sunday Shooting