CHARLESTON, Mo. (AP) – An Illinois man is facing charges for allegedly trying to mail marijuana to an inmate in a Missouri jail.
The Sikeston Standard Democrat reports that 30-year-old Lenard La’troy Duncan of Mound City, Illinois, was charged Tuesday with distribution of a controlled substance. He does not yet have an attorney.
Duncan was recently released from the Mississippi County Detention Center in Charleston, Missouri. Earlier this month, a deputy noticed the word “Charleston” misspelled on a piece of mail sent to another inmate, mail purportedly from a lawyer’s office.
Deputy Cory Hutcheson verified the return address was false and opened the mail. He says he found marijuana wrapped in a bank statement and other documents.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- $11M in Heroin Found in Big Rig Pulled Over for Speeding
- Ex-Chiefs RB Joe McKnight Fatally Shot, Suspect in Custody
- Racist, Homophobic Fliers Left Outside Webster University Dorm Room
- East St. Louis Township Official Pleads Guilty to Wire Fraud
- Granite City Man Charged for Murder of Teenage Boy
- Man Sentenced For Sex Crime With Girl He Met Online