Missouri, Illinois Rank High on List of Dog Bite Insurance Claims
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - New numbers are out from State Farm Insurance on dog bites, and both Missouri and Illinois made the top 15 list.
In 2013, Missouri State Farm members reported 88 dog bite claims. Illinois had 309, making it number two in the nation and second only to California.
State Farm spokesman Gary Stephenson says dog bite claims can be very expensive.
“Typically, the average cost per claim is around $25,000 to $28,000, so it’s a fairly expensive situation,” he says.
Stephenson says no one specific type of dog was responsible for the most bites, and while some bites were by strange dogs, he says many were family members being bitten by their own pet.
He says to avoid getting bitten by dogs, make sure you never try to touch a dog while it’s eating, and make sure to ask a dog’s owner before trying to pet a dog you don’t know.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Students Treated By Nurse After Handling Habanero Peppers
- CDC: Missouri is Lagging Behind in Measles Vaccinations
- VA Works to Improve Response Time for St. Louis Patients
- First City Police Academy Class Graduates Following Unrest in Ferguson
- Despite Concerns of Concussions, Youth Football League Opens With Full Roster
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources Issues Long-Awaited Fracking Rules