EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) – A southwestern Illinois woman is free on bond after being accused of stealing $6,000 from an 89-year-old woman who had hired her as a caregiver.
Madison County prosecutors charged 41-year-old Clara Stewart of Godfrey with felony theft.
Authorities say the alleged victim reported in April that the cash had been pilfered over several months.
Stewart is a certified nursing assistant who works for an independent company that the victim and her family had hired to provide basic home health care.
Stewart’s bond was set at $40,000. A Madison County jail worker said Monday that Stewart no longer was in custody.
Stewart does not have a listed home telephone number and could not be reached for comment Monday. Online court records don’t show whether she has an attorney.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Car Rammed, Driver Shot on I-44 in St. Louis
- Charges Filed In Thursday’s Shooting Of St. Louis County Police Officer
- Arrest Made in Cates Murder Case
- KU: St. Louis Native Expelled From University for Alleged Sexual Assault
- Lindenwood University Basketball Players Suspended After Rape Allegations
- UPDATED: County Police Officer Shot in Castle Point Released From Hospital