EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) – A southwestern Illinois woman is free on bond after being accused of stealing $6,000 from an 89-year-old woman who had hired her as a caregiver.
Madison County prosecutors charged 41-year-old Clara Stewart of Godfrey with felony theft.
Authorities say the alleged victim reported in April that the cash had been pilfered over several months.
Stewart is a certified nursing assistant who works for an independent company that the victim and her family had hired to provide basic home health care.
Stewart’s bond was set at $40,000. A Madison County jail worker said Monday that Stewart no longer was in custody.
Stewart does not have a listed home telephone number and could not be reached for comment Monday. Online court records don’t show whether she has an attorney.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- UPDATE: Suspect Killed During Standoff with St. Louis Police Identified
- Assault Charges Divide Voters in Montana Special Election
- Cairo Man Get Life in Prison for Bank Robbery, Stabbing
- Man Accused of Impersonating Purple Heart Recipient
- Manhunt Over as Shooting Suspect Captured
- City, County Police Search for Suspect Vehicle in Fatal Shootings