City Officials Draw Up Alternate Parking Plan for Fair St. Louis
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - There will be no street parking within Forest Park during Fair St. Louis, and that has officials drawing up a comprehensive parking plan for the event that takes place July 3-5.
Mayor Slay’s Chief of Staff Jeff Rainford says the main reason for omitting street parking is safety.
“Remember, this is Forest Park,” he says. “It’s not Forest parking lot. A lot of people are going to be walking, and we don’t want these people driving around, looking for spots, not paying attention and hitting people.”
He says that parking plan, when complete, will involved parking lots, shuttles and parking outside of the park.
Rainford says his biggest fear is people not coming to the fair at all out of fear of traffic gridlock.
He remembers Pope John Paul’s visit, when the streets were practically bare after fear of vehicle paralysis took hold.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- St. Louis Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk Happening Saturday Afternoon
- Mo. State Senator: Ferguson is ‘Experiencing PTSD Right Now’
- Some Bands are Saying They’re Done with St. Louis as Rash of Thefts Continues
- UPDATED: St. Louis Police Seek Driver of Car in Fatal Wreck
- Guide to Developments in Ferguson Police Shooting
- Two Rescued from House Fire in North St. Louis