Sen. Blunt: Bergdahl Deal Was a Huge Mistake
WASHINGTON (KMOX) – A huge mistake—that’s what Missouri’s Republican senator is saying about the deal that brought freedom to US POW Bowe Bergdahl.
Sen. Roy Blunt says the trade puts Americans at a greater risk around the world.
“Because of the message we sent by saying, ‘We’re willing to bargain for hostages’ rather than ‘We’re willing to do anything it takes to try our best to get them back,’ and that very well could involve a bad end for those who’d taken them, as opposed to a reward,” Blunt says.
Blunt says his argument isn’t about bringing an American home, but about dealing with terrorists.
He says the President needs to make sure terrorists know that the deal does not change the U.S.’s long-standing policy of not negotiating with those who take hostages.
“The legitimate question here is, he should be sending a message that we did this, but this is obviously not seen by the Congress of the United States as business as usual,” he says.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE POLITICS NEWS:
- Peacock Feels Good After Another Meeting with NFL Commissioner
- Koster Warns Radiation Found Off Site Near Bridgeton Landfill
- Judge Jails Kentucky Clerk for Refusing Marriage Licenses
- Iran Deal Will Survive in Congress Despite GOP Opposition
- Officials Begin Process of Dissolving Belleville Township
- Local Sales Tax Increase To Be Determined By College Student’s Single Vote