KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – A Missouri trooper has returned to work after a handcuffed Iowa man drowned while in his custody on the Lake of the Ozarks.
Anthony Piercy had been placed on administrative leave after the May 31 incident. The Kansas City Star reports he returned to work Monday while the Highway Patrol continues to investigate.
Piercy had arrested 20-year-old Brandon Ellingson on suspicion of boating while intoxicated. Ellingson was taken into a boat, placed in a life vest and handcuffed behind his back.
Piercy was taking him for a field sobriety test when the incident report indicates Ellingson stood up, stepped to the boat’s edge and fell or jumped overboard. Ellingson’s life vest came off. His body was recovered June 1.
Piercy has been a trooper for 18 years.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Greitens Focuses on Job Growth During State of the State
- Former Doctor Office Manager Sentenced for Embezzlement
- Unidentified Man Found in Fatal Home Fire
- Illinois is Short 600 School Substitutes a Day, Study Finds
- Missouri House Passes Bill Banning Lobbyist Gifts
- Plans for Dental School at Missouri Southern Postponed