KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – A Missouri trooper has returned to work after a handcuffed Iowa man drowned while in his custody on the Lake of the Ozarks.
Anthony Piercy had been placed on administrative leave after the May 31 incident. The Kansas City Star reports he returned to work Monday while the Highway Patrol continues to investigate.
Piercy had arrested 20-year-old Brandon Ellingson on suspicion of boating while intoxicated. Ellingson was taken into a boat, placed in a life vest and handcuffed behind his back.
Piercy was taking him for a field sobriety test when the incident report indicates Ellingson stood up, stepped to the boat’s edge and fell or jumped overboard. Ellingson’s life vest came off. His body was recovered June 1.
Piercy has been a trooper for 18 years.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Automatic Voter Registration Plan Gets House OK
- Charges Filed Against 2 Men Accused of Shooting at Officers
- Train Excursions Return to St. Louis Union Station
- Woman Sentenced for Posting Teen’s Nude Photos on Facebook
- Illinois Lawmakers Pass Measure Eliminating Pink Tax
- Illinois Poised to Enter a 2nd Year Without a Budget