IRONTON, Mo. (AP) – An Amtrak passenger who climbed out or fell from a moving train was found in a wooded area of southeast Missouri with a broken leg.
Iron County Sheriff Roger Medley says the unidentified woman was reported missing Saturday night on the Texas Eagle train from Chicago to San Antonio. Some local youths found her sitting on the tracks Sunday morning near Annapolis, Missouri.
The woman, whom Medley said was likely in her 80s and appeared disoriented, was flown by helicopter to a St. Louis area hospital.
Medley said the train was traveling at least 50 miles per hour in the area where the woman is believed to have disembarked. He said Amtrak workers realized she was missing when they found an open window on an emergency exit door.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Casino Provides Millions in Revenue to Cape Girardeau
- 13-Year-Old Girl Dead, Brother Missing in Illinois River
- State to Build New Veterans Home, Upgrade 2 Cemeteries
- Appeals Court to Hear Woman’s Fight For Her Frozen Embryos
- Nixon Completes Rice Sale From Missouri to Cuba
- Hope of Illinois Budget Agreement Dimming Before Deadline