Firefighter Dies in Motorcycle Crash
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - Firefighters from around the region are mourning the loss of one of their own.
Kevin Bacon of the West County Fire Department and EMS was killed in an off-duty motorcycle accident.
St. Louis police say the 37-year-old from Waterloo, Illinois, died when his bike crashed into a median at Broadway and Utah early Saturday.
West County Firefighters announced the death on their Twitter site.
— westcountyfire (@WESTCOUNTYFIRE) June 21, 2014
Monarch Firefighters wrote on theirs, “Some people look up to firefighters. Firefighters look up to guys like Kevin Bacon. #truehero ”
Just last year-Bacon saved the life of a driver trapped underneath an SUV when he lifted the 3,000 pound vehicle off him. He received an award from the Greater St Louis Fire Chiefs Association for his effort.
Funeral services are pending.
St Louis Police say Bacon was traveling at a high rate of speed when he lost control of his motorcycle and crashed into the median. He was taken to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Fire Department Takes Closer Look at Food Trucks After Philly Explosion
- Suspect in String of Car Break-Ins Arrested
- UPDATE: Suspect Charged in Fatal North St. Louis Stabbing
- Dooley Campaign Tweets Accuse Stenger Of ‘Making Deals with Hobby Lobby’
- MoDOT: ‘In No Way Involved’ in Amendment Seven Campaigning
- Young Circus Harmony Performers Get Extended Stay Overseas