USMNT Takes on Belgium
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – It’s “win or go home” for the U.S. soccer team when they take on Belgium at 3:00 p.m. today.
KMOX soccer analyst Bill McDermott says regardless of the outcome of today’s match, the U.S. has taken part in one of the best World Cups in recent memory.
“Magnificent goals, tremendous endings, ludicrous goalkeeping, guys who are out of their minds,” he says.
McDermott is pleased to see area bars and restaurants jammed with excited, red, white, and blue-clad fans for live watch parties.
“I think it’s really taking hold, and the overall process can only be good for the sport,” he says.
But can soccer continue its hold once the World Cup is over?
“This is the big question,” McDermott says. “On a Tuesday night, are they going to watch the Columbus Crew play the Chicago Fire? I think we all know the answer to that. But Americans are huge, big event people.”
And this, he says, is the Super Bowl of soccer.
McDermott will join Chris Hrabe at 2 p.m. for a viewing party at Ballpark Village, and will update the game during the Mark Reardon Show.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Inside Pitch: Matt Carpenter
- Former Rams RB Lawrence Phillips Charged With Murder
- This Week In College Football: Opening Weekend Viewing Guide
- New Renderings: Final Initial Design for Proposed NFL Stadium in St. Louis
- Andre Berto: My Life As The Guy That’s Going To Beat Floyd Mayweather
- Ghosts: U.S. Senior Amateur Golf Returns to St. Louis