Michael Sam on Tony Dungy: ‘Thank God He Wasn’t the St. Louis Rams Coach’
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - On Tuesday, Michael Sam responded to Tony Dungy’s comment that he wouldn’t have taken the openly gay St. Louis Rams rookie in the draft because he would be a “distraction.”
“Thank God he wasn’t the St. Louis Rams coach,” Sam told ESPN, laughing. “I have a lot of respect for Coach Dungy, and like everyone in America, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.”
Dungy later clarified the comments, releasing a statement that said in part, “What I was asked about was my philosophy of drafting, a philosophy that was developed over the years, which was to minimize distractions for my teams. I do not believe Michael’s sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization.
“I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction. Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction.”
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Injury Report: Two Almost Completely Healthy Squads Will Meet When Rams Face NY Giants
- Musicians + Sports: Darius Rucker Lives for Football: See His Pregame Soundtrack
- WWE Diva Naomi Proves Fake Pro Wrestling Storylines Aren’t As Fake As You Think
- Keidel: Manny And Mayweather In May?
- Five Things: Titans Vs. Jaguars Thursday Night Roundup
- Down 3-0, Kings Rebound, Flatten Blues 6-4