Pentagon Supplied Ferguson With 2 Humvees, 1 Generator, 1 Cargo Trailer
WASHINGTON (KMOX) - In light of the unfolding events in Ferguson, the Pentagon is sounding off on what some perceive as the militarization of America’s police forces.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby was asked by reporters about the extent of the supply of excess military items to police departments in Ferguson and the surrounding area.
Since 2007, Kirby says “in all of St. Louis County, which includes Ferguson, six pistols, 12 rifles, 15 weapons sites, an EOD robot, three helicopters, seven Humvees—two of which are being used by Ferguson—and two night vision devices.”
Ferguson has two of the Humvees, one generator and one cargo trailer from the Pentagon.
Kirby says the Pentagon doesn’t take a position on how local police departments use the military items given to them, saying that’s up to local law enforcement to determine.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- McCulloch: Witness No. 40 Not Only Witness with Credibility Issues
- State Rep Calls for Investigation of McCulloch
- Rams Players Giving Back To Ferguson
- Man Charged in Illinois Gun Theft Tied to Ferguson
- Koster Sues 13 STL County Municipalities for Balancing Budgets with Traffic Fines
- Ferguson State of Emergency Expires