Pentagon Supplied Ferguson With 2 Humvees, 1 Generator, 1 Cargo Trailer
WASHINGTON (KMOX) - In light of the unfolding events in Ferguson, the Pentagon is sounding off on what some perceive as the militarization of America’s police forces.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby was asked by reporters about the extent of the supply of excess military items to police departments in Ferguson and the surrounding area.
Since 2007, Kirby says “in all of St. Louis County, which includes Ferguson, six pistols, 12 rifles, 15 weapons sites, an EOD robot, three helicopters, seven Humvees—two of which are being used by Ferguson—and two night vision devices.”
Ferguson has two of the Humvees, one generator and one cargo trailer from the Pentagon.
Kirby says the Pentagon doesn’t take a position on how local police departments use the military items given to them, saying that’s up to local law enforcement to determine.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- New Judge Sits Behind Ferguson Bench
- Urban League’s Save Our Sons Has Some Asking, What About Our Daughters?
- Lt. Gov. Kinder Blames Feds for ‘Incitement of the Mob’ in Ferguson
- Burned-Out Ferguson QuikTrip to Be Transformed Into Job Center
- Attorney: Ferguson Shooting Suspect Did Not Target Police
- Pastor Claims Ferguson Shooting Suspect ‘Set Up’ By Police