Heat Warning in Effect Through Sunday Night
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - The St. Louis area is under an excessive heat warning from now until Sunday night.
That has St. Louis City Health Director Pam Walker urging residents to protect themselves against the high temperatures and humidity.
“What we’ve seen in the past is the first day or two it’s people who are working outside or exercising outside and their bodies haven’t acclimated yet,” she says. “By the third or fourth day is when, if we’re going to have deaths, we usually start seeing deaths, and it’s usually among seniors.”
Walker says it is critical take a 15 minute break every hour if you are working outdoors. She also recommends drinking plenty of water and non-alcoholic and non-caffeine liquids.
She says you should check regularly on the elderly and those without air conditioning.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE HEALTH NEWS:
- FDA Going After Sellers of Pure Caffeine Powder
- POLL: Police Killings of Unarmed Blacks Top Story of 2014
- Possible Chickenpox at Pinckneyville Prison
- Prepackaged Caramel Apples Linked to 4 Deaths
- A Smell in the Air, Contaminated Groundwater Below
- Mo. Rep. Pushes Bill Requiring Father’s Signature for Abortion, Except in Cases of ‘Legitimate Rape’