State Sen. Nasheed Calls on AG Holder to Investigate Shooting
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – Missouri State Sen. Jamilah Nasheed has sent a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.
Nasheed wants Holder to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of 25-year-old Kajieme Powell on August 19. Powell is the man, armed with a knife who yelled at police to shoot him. Two officers, responding to reports of Powell stealing from a nearby convenience store, are seen on cell phone video shooting Powell several times.
“It was after seeing the video,” she says. “It looked like the young man had some type of mental illness, and the excessive force and the lethal force that has occurred with young black men—not just in the city of St. Louis and in Ferguson, but throughout this country—it’s appalling.”
Nasheed believes police departments must begin to look at how they use lethal force and ask if there are other means to stop those young men that they feel are a threat.
She says Holder’s office has responded that her letter has been received.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE POLITICS NEWS:
- UPDATED: Jennings Mayor to Pine Lawn: Do Your Research About County Police
- Peacock Feels Good After Another Meeting with NFL Commissioner
- Koster Warns Radiation Found Off Site Near Bridgeton Landfill
- Judge Jails Kentucky Clerk for Refusing Marriage Licenses
- Iran Deal Will Survive in Congress Despite GOP Opposition
- Officials Begin Process of Dissolving Belleville Township