SEDALIA, Mo. (KMOX/AP) – A 27-year-old Missouri man was being held on $1 million bond in connection with the slaying of a 6-year-old boy with Down Syndrome.
Online court records show Scottie Alan Willet of Columbia was charged Thursday with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the child’s death. The Fulton Sun reports Willet was taken into custody Thursday morning in a Sedalia trailer park after an overnight manhunt.
Missouri State Highway Patrol spokesman Sgt. Paul Reinsch told the newspaper the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office called the patrol at 3:15 a.m. asking to use its helicopter to search for a suspect near Millersburg.
The Sedalia Democrat reports Willet was located through a cell phone ping, and a handgun was found in his vehicle.
Authorities have scheduled a news conference for later Thursday afternoon.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Police Search for Vandals in Bebe Gun Spree
- Clergy Issues Demands Aimed At Stopping Police Shootings
- Roof Fire at Sweetie Pie’s Restaurant Deemed Suspicious
- Woman Stabs Boyfriend, Walked to Store to Confess
- U of Illinois Plans Vigil After Deadly Shooting
- PHOTOS: Police Search For South County US Bank Robbery Suspect