SEDALIA, Mo. (KMOX/AP) – A 27-year-old Missouri man was being held on $1 million bond in connection with the slaying of a 6-year-old boy with Down Syndrome.
Online court records show Scottie Alan Willet of Columbia was charged Thursday with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the child’s death. The Fulton Sun reports Willet was taken into custody Thursday morning in a Sedalia trailer park after an overnight manhunt.
Missouri State Highway Patrol spokesman Sgt. Paul Reinsch told the newspaper the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office called the patrol at 3:15 a.m. asking to use its helicopter to search for a suspect near Millersburg.
The Sedalia Democrat reports Willet was located through a cell phone ping, and a handgun was found in his vehicle.
Authorities have scheduled a news conference for later Thursday afternoon.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Windsor High School Responds to Shooting Threat
- Edwardsville Police Seek Car Burglars
- Missouri Ban on Felons Carrying Weapons Ruled Constitutional
- Suspect Identified in Moline Acres Murder
- Six Teens Accused of Stealing $10,000 Worth of Firearms at Party
- St. Louis Murder Conviction Clouded After Discovery of Video