Firing of Two Gay Teachers at Cor Jesu Academy Prompts Outcry
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - There’s a call this morning for alumni of Cor Jesu Academy, an all-girls Catholic high school, to withhold their support for the school following the firing of two gay teachers.
More than 2,000 people have joined a private Facebook group supporting Olivia Reichert and Christina Gambaro. In addition to urging supporters to write and call school leaders, some are calling for alumni to no longer contribute to the school financially.
According to the Post-Dispatch, Reichert and Gambaro were asked to resign after the school received a copy of a mortgage application in their names. Cor Jesu officials say their relationship violates the moral contract faculty members are required to sign.
The two were married in New York this summer.
Gambaro tells the Vital Voice that her supporters have written letters to the school’s administration, telling them that they are withholding their financial support. Gambaro says it has made enough of an impact that the administration is having to address the dip in support.
It is legal in Missouri to fire employees based on sexual orientation.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Prosecutors Soon to Get Report on Shooting of VonDerrit Myers Jr.
- Thursday I-70 Shooting a Case of Domestic Violence
- Rev. Al Sharpton Says He’s on the Quest for the Truth
- Martin Luther Mathews Retiring, to Serve as Consultant for Boys’ and Girls’ Club
- Man Pleads Guilty in Missouri Box Cutter Attack
- Effort to Free Jeff Mizanskey from Life Sentence for Marijuana Takes Big Step