Firing of Two Gay Teachers at Cor Jesu Academy Prompts Outcry
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - There’s a call this morning for alumni of Cor Jesu Academy, an all-girls Catholic high school, to withhold their support for the school following the firing of two gay teachers.
More than 2,000 people have joined a private Facebook group supporting Olivia Reichert and Christina Gambaro. In addition to urging supporters to write and call school leaders, some are calling for alumni to no longer contribute to the school financially.
According to the Post-Dispatch, Reichert and Gambaro were asked to resign after the school received a copy of a mortgage application in their names. Cor Jesu officials say their relationship violates the moral contract faculty members are required to sign.
The two were married in New York this summer.
Gambaro tells the Vital Voice that her supporters have written letters to the school’s administration, telling them that they are withholding their financial support. Gambaro says it has made enough of an impact that the administration is having to address the dip in support.
It is legal in Missouri to fire employees based on sexual orientation.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Central West End Named in Top 10 Great Neighborhoods for 2014
- Ferguson Police Chief: Body Cameras Required to be On at Certain Times
- Law License Suspended for Former St. Louis Mayor
- Former Anheuser-Busch Executive’s Request for New Trial Denied
- Kmart Robbery Suspect Shot Outside Store After Taking Jewelry
- Callahan: U.S. Attorney’s First Priority ‘Should be Public Corruption’