ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – A woman who claimed she was she was beaten by three black teens because she was Bosnian now admits she made it all up.
St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson says Seherzada Dzanic, 26, has been charged with filing a false police report.
Dzanic’s false report came just a week after Zemir Begic, a 32-year-old Bosnian-American, was beaten to death by teenagers with hammers.
Dotson did not know what the motivation for Dzanic to fabricate the story was, but called it “heartbreaking,” because not only did it seek to divide the community, but it also pulled police away from other actual and serious investigations.
Dotson said police found a video from a nearby business that raised suspicions, and when Dzanic was presented with evidence that the attack never happened Dec. 5 on Landsdowne, she admitted she had lied.
Dzanic has been charged with filing a false police report, a class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to six months in jail and fines.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Pamela Hupp Murder Trial Delayed Again
- Police: Man Stole Wallet From Woman Who Donated To Fundraiser
- 3 Charged in Death of Former De Smet Football Coach
- Dozens of Shots Fired, 1 Killed in Northwest City Shooting
- Southwest Airlines Pilot Arrested at Lambert After Pistol Found in Carry-On
- Road Rage Shooting in Richmond Heights