Maria Chappelle-Nadal: ‘There’s No Way In Hell That I’m Resigning’

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – Missouri senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal says she will not wilt to the political leaders who are calling for a resignation.

Chappelle-Nadal told KMOX’s Carol Daniel, “There is no way in hell that I’m resigning. There are legislators who have cheated on their wives, they have smoked in the legislature, in the state capitol. If they have not been asked to resign for those acts, which I do believe that cheating on your wife or your spouse is immoral, I am not resigning for a mistake that I made and that I’m owning up to.”

In a statement issued Thursday, Missouri Democratic Party Chair Stephen Webber called for her resignation.

Related story: How Secret Service Handles Facebook Threats On President

“State Senator Chappelle-Nadal’s comments are indefensible. All sides need to agree that there is no room for suggestions of political violence in America – and the Missouri Democratic Party will absolutely not tolerate calls for the assassination of the President. I believe she should resign,” Webber said.

U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill agrees. In a statement released Thursday afternoon, McCaskill stated, “I condemn it. It’s outrageous. And she should resign.”

Responding to someone’s post on Facebook who said they’d probably get a visit from the secret service, Maria Chappelle-Nadal wrote, “No I will. I hope Trump is assassinated.”

KMOX’s Carol Daniel asked Chappelle-Nadal if she was going to apologize for her comments. Chappelle-Nadal replied, “When the President apologizes, I’ll apologize. I’m not apologizing for being frustrated and angry at the bigot that we have in our White House.”

Congressman Wm. Lacy Clay Missouri joined the list of politicians calling for her resignation. His official statement said, “Maria Chappelle-Nadal has a long and troubled history of making vulgar, obscene and completely irresponsible statements. But calling for the assassination of the President is a federal crime. She has repeatedly demeaned her office and she is an embarrassment to our state.

“She should resign immediately.”

St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger has not called for her to resign, but did post a message on Twitter saying “Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal’s comment today was wrong and reprehensible. No person should wish death upon another.”

“I’m standing up for every single person of color who is feeling hopeless and who is upset,” Chappelle-Nadal said. “Could I have chosen better words? Absolutely. I should have. But I am not going to shy away from talking about the frustration and anger that led me to that point.”

The U.S. Secret Service in St. Louis told KMOX they are investigating the intent of Chappelle-Nadal’s comments.

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook

Comments

1. Dan Marlow says:

“There is no way in hell that I’m resigning.” Why would she? She’s collecting the best welfare this country has to offer.

2. Darlene Luce says:

There is no place in government for that type of hate. Elected leaders are expected to set an example………it’s easy to see why this country is so divided!

3. Trump should apologize? Did he call for Chappelle-nadal to be assassinated?

4. Robert Graw says:

There cannot be a double standard.

5. Jesse Bernal says:

She needs to step down and I do believe this will not go away for her until she does step down.

6. lizzzy321 says:

If she doesn’t step down voluntarily, she needs to be removed from office. Period.

7. I hope she is assassinated! No, not really, I be taking it down. I will leave that for others that she has angered.

8. That’s like a Klansman saying he hopes she gets lynched. Double standard will lose. Step down now.

9. Bob Twou says:

WOW, she is publicly encouraging and condoning murdering our President.
    Isn’t that against the law?

10. Martin Goff says:

Hoping for the violent death of an American President. She has lost creditability and shows a total lack of morals. She should be removed from office for these comments.

11. Karen Gordon says:

As reprehensible as donald is this senator is even more so for her statement. I’ve wondered why there hasn’t been an attempt, there are many cooks running about, but to actually wish a violent death for another human is indefensible. I’d say that red line has been crossed.

12. Why isn’t she under investigation for advocating violence toward the President? Because she is black and doesn’t have to follow the rules?

13. so her saying it is under freedom of speech then I can call her the N word and call it freedom of speech right?

14. I long to see Trump impeached. I dislike the phoney fool to the point of hatred but anyone who calls for the assassination of another human being has no place in public life. The fact that this Senator said what she did is disgraceful – the fact that she is totally unapologetic is unforgiveable. Any Senator that votes against her dismissal is as guilty of a hate crime as the Senator herself.

15. Maria Chappelle-Nadal – Trump is a racist but he is certainly no more racist than was Harry S. Truman, who was not only a racist but also anti-Semitic. How publically critical have you been about this son of Missouri? – who despite being a Democratic President, should carry much of the responsibility for what the Republican Party and the right wing of the Democratic Party later grew into and have become progressively worse with the years.

16. Jack Roberts says:

Maria Chappelle-Hadal is UNSAFE and DANGER to American Citizens.
    Maria Chappelle-Hadal is Causing MORE HATRED, MORE HARM, MORE DIVISION to American Citizens and American Society. Other Countries do NOT Tolerate this Threat. She should be Prosecuted under the Law. Her Assassination of our President is CAUSING More DIVISION, Hatred, and HARM in our Society, Leading to More Violence.

17. sometimes what comes up comes out!!!! Just Saying!!!!!!!That’s minor for whats really going on!!!!!!!