Right to Work
The 85-69 vote in the House was just three greater than the minimum number needed to pass legislation and 24 votes short of a two-thirds majority that would be needed for a veto override.
Several firearm manufacturers have threatened to leave states passing stricter gun regulations, prompting Missouri lawmakers to respond with tax incentives.
While a pro-business agenda has been fast-tracked by Missouri’s Republican General Assembly, one issue has been pushed to the sidelines.
The chance of what supporters often call “right to work” getting to the floor in either chamber appears slim.
Republican Rep. Eric Burlison, of Springfield, says the measure makes Missouri an attractive location for new businesses.
The measure would eliminate the wage used by cities, counties and other government entities to pay for construction projects.
Union members sat silently as the House Workforce Development and Workplace Safety Committee debated the issue that attracted attention from legislative leaders of both parties.
Missouri legislative leaders said it would be difficult to follow the lead of Michigan lawmakers who approved a right-to-work plan Tuesday banning requirements that workers pay dues to unions for negotiating contracts and other services.
James P. Hoffa and Dick DeVos have vastly differing views of unions, which is why in this heated political climate battles are raging across America over unions in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, California and other states, the two took time to participate in CBS Local Digital Debate.
Several Republicans, largely unknown until launching their candidacies, had tapped their own finances, but Spence may face an uphill battle in November.
- Chelsea vs Manchester City Soccer Match Pep Rally at... Practice Round at Senior PGA Chelsea vs Manchester City...
- Namaste: Yoga Poses For... Busch Stadium Transforming... Tornado Rips Through Oklahoma... Circus Flora Tent Arrives in...
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Local Artists Find Success on... Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils...
- Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove
- Belleville man charged in sexual assault of a child stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/05/24/bel… 3 hours ago
- RT @stltreasurer: "We've seen the future, and it's plastic!" Treasurer Jones via @kmoxnews stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/05/24/cit… 8 hours ago
- RT @caroldanielKMOX: Noon-time robbery of 2 employees @ Scott Credit Union ATM in OFallon, Ill. Police going over video from scene. http:/… 9 hours ago
- O’Fallon, Illinois ATM ‘Forcibly’ Robbed Friday cbsloc.al/16TZdGg 10 hours ago